Sunday, April 29, 2012

"Elemental" by Emily White



ELEMENTAL BY EMILY WHITE

SERIES: Auri #1

PUBLISHER: Spencer Hill Press
GENRE: Sci-Fi/Dystopian
SOURCE: ARC received from the publisher

SUMMARY (from the book)
Just because Ella can burn someone to the ground with her mind doesn't mean she should. But she wants to. For then years - ever since she was a small child - Ella has been held prisoner. Now that she has escaped, she needs answers. Who is she? Why was she taken? And who is the boy with the beautiful green eyes who haunts her memories? Is Ella the prophesied Destructor... Or will she be the one who's destroyed?

MY REVIEW

I'm not a science fiction fan, it's simply a genre I don't particularly love to read about, but "Elemental" caught my attention from the beginning and, Sci-Fi or not, I knew I needed to read it.

The first part is what I really liked the most! Ella's fear, her weakness and her feeling uncomfortable was almost palpable, I felt terribly sad for her and so the connection was there immediately. Of course these traits remain a constant in Ella throughout all the book, but when the powerful skills she has inside emerge, something changes and you see that strong, dark side that wants to excel so bad and it totally intrigues you. Now, believe it or not, I wasn't intrigued by those green eyes at all... I tried, but I couldn't feel a thing for Cailen. Then I felt everything for Meir! (Can I have him, Emily?)

I got confused from species, planets and the political stuff all around. I'm not saying an introduction should have been done, I like to discover things in different moments, but perhaps in this case I would have preferred an explanation all together (at least of the main events), because I couldn't keep up with all the stuff involved in every chapter.

Lots of action, great powers and something you can't see coming at all... You should certainly give this book a go!

RATING: 3/5

5 comments:

  1. Good review. I have been wanting to read this since I first heard about it and I am jealous you got to read this. I really need to buy a copy as soon as funds allow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could have read it as soon as I got the ARC in my hands, but there was always too much work to do every day and so I patiently waited for the right time to come... *Sigh!* I'm sure it's something you would enjoy, Michelle! ;)

      Delete
    2. I hadn't heard of this until now. So green eyes don't do it for you huh? :)

      Delete
    3. They didn't have the right effect because of the character, but green eyes in general yes, they do it pretty much! ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it, even if it wasn't spot on for you! I think it's hard to impress me with sci-fi, so I'm not sure if I'll be picking it up or not, but I'm definitely curious. :)

    ReplyDelete

back to top