Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"Torrent" by Gemma James



TORRENT BY GEMMA JAMES

SERIES: Condemned #1
PUBLISHER: Gemma James
GENRE: NA Dark Romance
SOURCE: Author
LINKS: Goodreads

SUMMARY
I’ve been obsessed with Rafe Mason since I was thirteen. The twisted part of this story is that I still want him, even now. Now that he’s holding me captive on an island. Rafe has his reasons for doing what he’s doing, and if I’m honest, I can’t blame him. I’m the girl who sent him to prison for a heinous crime he didn’t commit. But now he’s free and the tables have turned…now he’s the one driven by obsession.
TORRENT is a new adult dark romance with disturbing themes and explicit content that includes sexual situations and violence. Intended for adult readers 18+ only. Part one of the CONDEMNED series. This is not a stand-alone read.

MY REVIEW

"Torrent" is a dark book, not darker than the ones I'm used to, but it surely has to be classified as a dark romance. How else would you describe a book in which there are twisted (and I mean really twisted) characters/relationships? And if you're a lover of the genre, you know this is the charm of such stories.

I think we all—or at least most of us—agree that the plot is fundamental, and I was pleased to find a good one in here. Nevertheless, I honestly thought that something was off at the beginning, even though I couldn't immediately place what it was. Thankfully the read flew well, but at some point that initial feeling came back and I started to realize that my issue was mostly with the characters. I couldn't completely feel involved with them, although Rafe's charisma didn't go unnoticed. Still, it's one of the minor characters who got me quite intrigued. I really wouldn't mind finding out more about Jax, and I do hope the author will put him more under the spotlight.

I read the book in just one sitting and, although I would have appreciated seeing some events developed more than others, I'm curious enough to see where Gemma James decides to take the reader. The end of this first instalment certainly makes you wonder...

RATING: 3/5
back to top